Gallerie Nazionali Barberini Corsini
One museum, two galleries. The history of the Barberini Palace as a national museum open to the public begins in 1953, the year it became the National Gallery of Ancient Art along with the Corsini Palace, which had been that since 1895. While Palazzo Corsini has its own historic painting collection, the Barberini Palace takes a chronological approach representative of the principal schools of painting from the 13th through the 18th centuries. The 16th and 17th are the most extensively represented, with works by Raffaello, Bronzino, Lorenzo Lotto, Tintoretto, all the way up to Caravaggio and the 17th century, with works by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Guido Reni, Guercino, Nicolas Poussin and Pietro da Cortona. The 17th century collection includes major works by Maratti, Batoni, Canaletto, Subleyras, Mengs and van Wittel; in addition to paintings by Fragonard and Boucher and some rare sketches by Corvi and Ghezzi.